Sunday, November 20, 2011

Creative and functional Splat Mat

Have you noticed that so-called "splat mats" (the thingies that go under high chairs to protect your floor and allow for easy cleanup) are basically overpriced sheets of filmy plastic?  So, when it came time to deal with this issue for me I came up with several solutions.  First one was, of course, an actual splat mat that someone had given me.  It was thin and not very aesthetically pleasing and when I tried to clean it with a cleaner that had some level of bleach in it, the Elmo design faded.

First solution:
Shower curtain.

This worked just fine and was easier to manipulate and clean; but it still wasn't what I was looking for.

Final solution:
Bathroom linoleum-type flooring.

I was in the process of re-doing my bathroom floors with this new product that you just cut and lay.  It didn't have anything sticky on it, it just lay flat.  I noticed it was relatively easy to cut with a utility knife (as I was doing the bathrooms).  I had a good bit of excess laying around and one day I cut a square of it out and decided it would be my new splat mat.  I was able to cut openings for my table legs AND I can scrub the heck out of it with anything I want!  It stays put and it looks a heck of a lot nicer than anything else I tried!

You can go to your local hardware store and look for "no-glue" vinyl flooring and you may even be able to find a remnant!

No comments:

Post a Comment