Thursday, November 10, 2011

Childproof your Fireplace

Childproofing can get EXPENSIVE!  Being a hardware store junkie, I often find that many items that are sold under the guise of "child safety" are repackaged basic items you can find in a different aisle at the hardware store.  Repackaged and, of course, repriced.

So...here's just one of my helpful childproofing tips in this arena.  Pipe insulation.  Yes, pipe insulation.  I am a big fan of the plumbing aisle, and I have found that lots of things can be childproofed with pipe insulation.

I first discovered this when I was mounting a swing on my porch...it had seen better days as far as the rope goes, and we all hate prickly rope...I think that was one of my first pet peeves as a child.  I cut some pipe insulation and put it around the rope and voila! 

But I digress...here are the basics...buy pipe insulation.  You can get the basic no-frills kind (around $2) or you can get it with peel and stick edges OR you can get pretty black pipe insulation.  Both are a little pricier but one point to remember is that the basic, no-frills pipe insulation has a split down it as well which can be pulled apart...so it's not that different.  For most of my childproofing, I use the basic, no-frills.  I splurged on the pretty black (for copper pipes) for my fireplace for aesthetic purposes.  Here is the result:




Pretty darn simple, right?  And about 1/3 the price of repackaged stuff!

1 comment:

  1. Hello!
    How do you get it to stick to the edge if you don't buy the peel and stick edges?
    Jen

    ReplyDelete